There are many reasons to join the AWE, including:
- Membership of a professional organisation which endorses your skill as a knowledgeable and engaging wine presenter
- The right to use the AWE logo on business cards, letterhead, websites etc.
- Your complete personal profile, blog posts, photos and videos on the AWE website increasing your exposure to potential clients.
- Ability to advertise your events via the AWE website
- A professionally-produced e-newsletter, AWE Inspiring News, three times a year
- Networking and support from a friendly and knowledgeable group of enthusiastic wine educators
- Continuing professional development via a dedicated program of subsidised tastings, seminars and wine study trips organised by the AWE in conjunction with generic bodies and producers
- Access to tastings organised by the Circle of Wine Writers
- Discounts at national and independent wine retailers for wines to use for tastings/courses
- Discounts at wine accessory suppliers
- Ability to participate in sponsored tasting programs, on behalf of generic wine bodies
- Invitations to wine trade events and seminars
Good AWE members
Good AWE Members are in high demand
- Keep an eye out for prospective new members
- Keep their wine knowledge updated through reading, vineyard visits and attendance at wine tastings and events
- Look for opportunities to work in partnership with other members, for instance for companies who are looking for nationwide events
- Are mindful that their work and behaviour reflects on the reputation of the AWE as well as themselves
- Are in high demand!
- Appreciate that their role is to enthuse as well as to teach
- Encourage questions and answer them fully and directly
- Keep their core wine knowledge up to date
- Enjoy their subject
- Take pleasure in meeting new people
We want to ensure that all AWE members present and communicate about wine at the highest standard. We ask that candidates have the WSET Diploma and at least one year’s experience of educating people about wine.
If you would like to apply, we request references from two people who have been present at an event where you have communicated your wine knowledge. As part of the process an AWE Assessor will attend one of your wine education events.
The fees are £90 per year, running from March. There is an additional £90 joining fee which contributes to the cost of assessment. These fees are payable only once your application has been successful.
There is an additional category of membership – Associate Membership – open to candidates who do not hold the WSET Diploma but do have detailed specialist knowledge of a particular area. The assessment process and fees are identical.
This rigorous process of assessment is necessary to enable the Association of Wine Educators to recommend its members to present at any level of event.
If you have any questions about the application process, please
Apply for Membership
- If you’re ready to apply, click the button below.
- Note that an annual fee of £90 applies, plus a one-off joining fee of £90. You must also meet the criteria outlined above.
- Apply Now